Sunday, August 4, 2013

TOTAL RECRUITMENT: Why FG & SENATE Should Do Something Urgently On The Unfair Treatment of HND Holders In Nigeria By Employers


Tears filled my eyes as I read through the two messages sent to me by two different people on this very topic of unfair treatment of HND holders in Nigeria, which kept me wondering what the federal government and national assembly are doing to give HND holders hope.

Now, lets take a look at the messages two unhappy HND holders sent to me to please help them publish on my blog:


Dear Ngozikanwiro Blog,
I am a regular reader of your blog, and I must commend and thank you for the wonderful job you had been doing through this your blog, and sometimes I wonder why your blog isn’t as popular as LindaIkeji and BellaNaija blog because your way of writing and handling topics are very unique, unlike other blogs that are busy copying LindaIkeji and just re-posting what so many other blogs have already posted. Anyway, don’t be discouraged by the absence of regular comments on your posts, believe me, your blog is going places with the kind of topics you handle and manner in which you attend to them.

Back to the reason why I am writing you this mail: unjust treatment and discrimination of HND holders in Nigeria.

I am a HND holder, and I am proud of it, you know why? Because I am smarter and more productive than most bachelors degree holders that employers hold at high esteem. I didn’t went to polytechnic because I couldn’t pass JAMB, I went to polytechnic because I wanted to be technically grounded in my field since I was going to study Electrical Electronics Engineering, and haven seen some relations who studied this same course in the university but are unable to fix even a house electric bulb, I decided to opt for polytechnic since they dwelled more on practical than theory. As a matter of fact, when I was in school  (Polytechnic), I used to go to the nearby university, and few others in other states to write exams for some university students studying the same course with me, and whenever their results came out, they always call to thank me specially with cash gifts that helped saw me through school.

Madam Ngozikanwiro, I am sure you had been seeing job adverts by Nigerian employers, and how they discriminate HND holders in their job requirements? I graduated with distinction, which is similar to first class in Bsc, but you can’t believe that ever since I graduated, I have never applied for up to 3 reasonable jobs, just because the job requirements always specify: Bsc holders.
Now, what really angered me to write you this message is the recent recruitment of HND holders in engineering courses by Total Plc. For the very first time Total is recruiting HND holders, they still discriminated those who graduated before the year 2010. I will paste their advert at the end of my message for you to see for yourself. Has Total ever specified year of graduation when recruiting B.sc holders? The answer is NO! So why are they doing that to HND holders?

Federal government and senate need to intervene urgently and caution all these employers before it gets worse because they are building up a time bomb in Nigeria and when it will explode, it won’t be funny at all.

If federal government cannot protect the future of HND graduates by cautioning employers of labor in Nigeria to stop all these discrimination, then they should scrap HND education entirely, instead of allowing innocent Nigerian youths to be wasting their time and resources acquiring a certificate no one cares for. The most painful part of it is the fact that Polytechnic students spend more money than University students, and most HND holders in engineering fields perform better than those with B.sc/BEng.

Please Madam, help us, we are really angry and unhappy with this HND discrimination saga in Nigeria, and if you can forward this to the right authority, please do.

But before I go, I want you to take a look at Total recruitment advert below:


Job Title: Graduate Trainees 
Applications are welcome from male and female candidates who hold Ordinary National Diplomas (OND) or Higher National Diplomas (HND) or their equivalents, who graduated not before 2010. 

No work experience is required. However, HND holders who are applying must have already completed their NYSC programme. Candidates will be required to show evidence of this in their application

 

Job Title: Graduate Trainees Applications are welcome from male and female candidates who hold Ordinary National Diplomas (OND) or Higher National Diplomas (HND) or their equivalents, who graduated not before 2010. No work experience is required. However, HND holders who are applying must have already completed their NYSC programme. Candidates will be required to show evidence of this in their application

See more at: http://www.jobgurusng.com/jobs/vacancies/index.php?_n_Id=6948#sthash.6im6MRuT.dpuf
Job Title: Graduate Trainees Applications are welcome from male and female candidates who hold Ordinary National Diplomas (OND) or Higher National Diplomas (HND) or their equivalents, who graduated not before 2010. No work experience is required. However, HND holders who are applying must have already completed their NYSC programme. Candidates will be required to show evidence of this in their application

See more at: http://www.jobgurusng.com/jobs/vacancies/index.php?_n_Id=6948#sthash.6im6MRuT.dpuf
Thank you.

Readers’ Note:
Honestly, I am speechless….so so speechless. Please if you are a blogger or a newspaper editor reading this, I encourage you to please publish this on your blog or newspaper so that it can get to notice of FG, senate, Nigerian employers, NLC, and Total HR department.

No comments:

Post a Comment