Thursday, December 13, 2012

Olatoye, ‘Mr. Clean’ of Five Star bridge

Physically-challenged father of five who sweeps footbridge asks for more help

WHEN many in the same circumstances of severe physical disability would have opted to become beggars, living on the kindness of others, Monday Olatoye, chose differently.


Though fate could be said to have been quite unkind to him, the 39 -year-old, who lost the use of his two legs from the waist down, did not succumb and take to begging.

He was determined to live a meaningful life in which he could contribute to the society.

As a result, 10 years ago, he picked up a broom and literally crawled to the popular Five Star Bus Stop on the Oshodi-Apapa Expressway, climbed the pedestrian bridge and began to sweep.

The husband of a petty trader and father of five, Olatoye, who hails from Ogun State and lives with his family at No.3, Adekpan Street, Isolo, is a casual worker with the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA) assigned to sweep the Five Star pedestrian bridge twice a day, morning and evening, through which he ekes a living.

Narrating to The Guardian, a brief story of his life, Olatoye lamented he was struck by an ailment at the age of 10, which eventually led to his paralysis.

“I am the second child in a family of seven. While our mother is still alive, our daddy died about 15 years ago.

“I decided to make something out of my life despite my condition and the situation I found myself, which has led me to doing anything I could lay my hands on, to earn an honest living.

“Ten years ago, I came to Five Star to sweep the pedestrian bridge and take whatever good Samaritans, who appreciated my contribution towards the cleanliness of the bridge, gave me.

“As God would have it, I found favour with the Lagos State government and LAWMA that decided to engage me on casual basis and pay me the sum of N10,000.00 per month. This has been consistent and I am very grateful to the government.

“However, with my of seven, I need a higher pay to cope with the family expenses.

“Due to my inability to further pay his fees, my first son, after his secondary education, was compelled to learn auto mechanic while my second child, a girl, is an apprentice tailor. I still have three children in Primary School.

“But for my wife, a petty trader, who has taken me for who I am and always doing her best to keep the family going, the situation would have been devastating.

“That is why, like Oliver Twist, I am still imploring the Lagos State government to still assist me more, especially in the area of accommodation and I promise I would do more than what I am doing now.

“My landlord has increased the rent from N1,500 to N2,500 and the load has become rather heavy,” he pleaded.

Olatoye, who also complained that some beggars who were not even disabled, always clustered at the bridge disturbed him in the course of doing his work, commended LAWMA for keeping Lagos cleaner.



Author of this article: By Adeyemi Adeagbo and Chinenye Onwah


Courtesy: Guardian Ngr

1 comment:

  1. I haνe been browsing on-line more than 3 hours as of late,
    but I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    Ӏt is pretty pricе enough for me. Personally, if all
    աebmasters ɑnd bloggers made good content material as you probawbly did, the web might bе much more helpful thazn ever
    Ƅefore.

    my homepage:www.infobert.com

    ReplyDelete